HISTORY OF WEST PIKELAND
A Land Grant from William Penn, containing over 10,000 acres, was given to Joseph Pike, a merchant from Cork, Ireland, on December 3, 1705. In 1733, Joseph Pike’s son, Richard Pike, inherited this tract of land, which he renamed “Newington”. However, soon after, the tract was once again called “Pikeland”. In 1838 these lands were divided and called East and West Pikeland. The area was inhabited by various tribes of Native Americans, mainly the Lenni Lenape, and later settled by the Swedes, English, Welsh and Germans.
HISTORY OF OUR TOWNSHIP BUILDING
The large barn our township office and SALT Theatre occupy was built in 1845 as a barn for the large farm at the east end of Yellow Springs Village. In 1928 the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts purchased the barn and 100 acres, transforming the barn into a sculpture studio. They removed the rear wall and added glass to permit the north light to enter.
Next time you see a township police officer, ask them if they enjoy working in a former chicken coop!